Pages

Wednesday 30 January 2013

Adventures in the snow

footprints in the snow at Beningbrough

My second day of volunteering as a PR and Marketing assistant in 2013 was a bright and snowy winter morning so, armed with my scarf, gloves, camera-phone and beloved wellies I set off to explore the grounds!

Emma Stothard willow horse sculpture at Beningbrough

At the front of the house I was greeted by this amazing willow sculpture by Emma Stothard (http://www.emmastothard.com). Many other creatures and critters are waiting to be discovered around the property, but this horse is looking across the snow in search of visitors to welcome.

Tristram Hill volunteer gardener at Beningbrough

 Also at the front of the house (and far more talkative than the horse) was Tristram Hill, one of many dedicated volunteer gardeners who work here whatever the weather. Taking a break from smartening up the front lawn, he told me it was the wide open space and beautiful surroundings which he enjoyed most about his work at Beningbrough. On a day like this with white snow and blue sky stretching away into the distance I could easily see why.

Following Tristram’s advice I went to take a look at the south-facing view from the gardens, which is his favourite spot here. From this side of the house there is an impressive panoramic view of what he describes as ‘classic Eighteenth century parkland’. Today the trees and fields were looking especially striking.

South facing view of snowy parkland at Beningbrough

The landscape was equally dramatic when I last looked out in this direction in late November, as it was (like many other places in the area) entirely underwater! Tristram explained that the flooding I saw actually serves an important purpose, with the land always intended as a water meadow. This means that as the water levels rise and the river overflows, the meadows absorb the floodwater, and in doing so reduce the impact on York and the surrounding villages. Although, as anyone living in the area will know, the meadows have unfortunately been no match for the recent floods!


animal tracks in the snow at BeningbroughFinally, on the way back to the office I came across some interesting animal tracks in the snow – can anybody tell me what they might be? (With my incredible ranger skills I have already identified those in the bottom right-hand corner as size 5 wellies).









 I’ve had a great time volunteering with Beningbrough so far and there will be plenty more blogs from me to come. In the meantime I thoroughly recommend wandering around the gardens, capturing some stunning photos and chatting to the friendly staff and volunteers who make this place so special.

Natasha - PR and Marketing Intern 




No comments:

Post a Comment